What makes Mind & Matter different?
From our very first candle, all of our products have been made by hand in very small batches in our Chicago scent studio. You can learn more about our founder, our mission, and our brand here.
We create candles that are 100% soy wax, eco-friendly, cruelty-free, paraffin-free, phthalate-free, and paraben-free. The wax we use is always 100% soy wax from soybeans that are grown right here in the good old US of A.
Finally, we give back to mental health awareness and wellness organizations that we're passionate about. Each Mind & Matter candle helps to shed light on the stigma surrounding mental health.
What are the approximate burn times of each candle?
- 2 oz: 15+ hours
- 6 oz: 40+ hours
- 8 oz: 50+ hours
What are your candles made of?
Our candles consist of 100% soy wax and premium fragrance oils.
What are your wicks made of?
Our wicks are made of flat-braided cotton with paper threads woven in to increase performance. They're lead and zinc free.
When should I trim the wick?
You should trim the wick before each burn.
Does my candle expire?
No, candles don't expire. However, there's potential for them to discolor or for the scent to weaken over time. With that in mind, we recommend storing your candle in a cold, dark place and using it within 2 years of receiving it.
Can I choose the batch number that’s printed on my candle label?
Due to the very small batches that our candles are made in, we cannot customize the batch number or maker’s initials that come printed on your label. That means you’ll never know exactly which batch yours came from until you have it in your hands. Whatever batch, you can take care in knowing that it was hand-poured with care, patience, and lots of love.
Soy wax is non-toxic, unlike its petroleum-based competitor, paraffin wax. Soy wax also gives off substantially less soot. Occasionally, candle users report headaches while burning paraffin candles. That can be due to the toxins within the candle. Mind & Matter candles are natural with natural ingredients.
100% soy candles last longer than paraffin candles of the same size. Soy wax is denser. This means that it takes more heat to melt the wax, meaning that the candle takes longer to burn through.
100% soy wax is biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
Candle scent is given off when the wax is melted. Since a soy wax candle takes longer to burn, the scent is gradually released. There is not an instant, overpowering scent but the lasting power is much better.
Do you use toxic ingredients in your candles?
Absolutely not. Your candles will never include any additives, dyes, petroleum, phalates, or other questionable ingredients. We’ve spent hours researching and sourcing the highest quality ingredients for our candles so you don’t have to.
What safety measures should I take when using a candle?
- Trim your wick to 1/4" before each and every burn. This ensures the flame does not smoke, flicker too much or rise too high.
- Your first burn should be 2-3 hours long in order to achieve full melting pool. A full melting pool prevents tunneling, which is excess wax build up on the side of your vessels.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep your candle out of reach of children and pets.
- Never burn your candle near anything that can catch fire.
- Be sure that you place your candle on a stable, heat resistant surface.
- Keep lit candles away from any drafts.
- Never burn your candle all the way down. Always leave 1/4" of wax in the bottom of the vessel.
- Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.
- Place burning candles at least 4 inches apart from one another.
- Never use water to extinguish a candle.